The day before our friends the Powells moved, their kids said their goodbyes at school. I picked up Noah from aftercare at the same time Ella was picked up and saw lots of friends from 1st to 3rd grade in their class giving her hugs, including Noah. We said more goodbyes to Charlie & Greta and Krista, and waved to them as they drove off.
As I started to drive home with Noah, he started to sob. Sad, uncontrollable sobbing. I tried to talk to him about missing his friend, and realized he just needed to get it out. I teared up hearing him cry, and called Krista to set up one more playdate the next morning, keeping Noah out of school to have a fun memory of Ella's moving day. Ella is the closest to a sister that Noah has ever had, and he really wasn't sure what her moving meant, and this was his first close friend to move out of state.
I'm so happy that they had that time to goof off the next morning. He was smiling ear to ear & felt like it was the best reason to skip school ever. (I have to add that the twins were pretty jealous that they couldn't stay home too!)
I'm so glad for modern technology as well as simple old fashioned mail... these kids (as well as us adults) can keep in touch easily, and the kids love that they can even see each other over the phone & computer to talk! We received a "facetime" call by iPhone & all three boys carried their friends around talking to them & laughing until my phone died! haha! A card we received from them with drawings of our families prompted the boys to get their markers to paper and send off their reply to New Mexico. I can't wait to get them together camping this Spring & see all 6 of them running around together again!
