Aug 21, 2008

Thumb sucking = antibiotics

Oh, Mr Nate... He has sucked his thumb since he realized he had one, and unfortunately for him that is done as of today.
His thumb (he only sucks the right one) developed what looked like 2 water blisters earlier in the week, but yesterday it became clear that they were actually full of puss. Sorry, it's gruesome -- be glad I'm not posting a pic of it. Today his thumb appeared to have a purple hue, and I realized neosporin was not the answer, so we made a trip to the doctor.
Nate had to be wrapped in a blanket to stay still enough for the doctor to lance the bumps and get cultures, and he is on Cephalexin for a week.
He is so emotional and gets really upset fast, so as soon as he hears "thumb" or "band-aid" he starts to cry and run, poor little guy. I'm hoping that he won't suck on the bandaged thumb in his sleep -- I may sneak a sock on his hand to protect it. He wouldn't let me do it when he was awake.
After that ordeal, I took the three boys to the movie WALL-E as a special treat. With Bill away on a business trip all week, and Noah in between summer camp and Kindergarten, I've been trying to take them out on little field trips to keep us from going stir crazy at home. The twins were so excited and looked so tiny walking into the theatre. They did fairly well, but let's just say that I'm glad there were less than 10 people seeing our movie tonight. I think a more colorful cartoony movie would keep their attention better right now. It was pretty cute, at least for me... because they would say "Wall-eeeee" or "Evaaaa" or ask what happened when Wall-e looked sad. Noah loved it and said it was his most favorite ever.