Apr 9, 2008

ode to Woobie

Nate and Hayden have become very attached to their "Woobies", a little blanket with a stuffed bear head in the center. Nate's is ivory and Hayden's is blue. They sleep with them and occasionally want them in hand, or in Hayden's case hanging out of his mouth, for comfort during the day, or if they are upset. I have at least 2 or three of each color so we have them available in the van, in their cribs and usually one in the laundry. It is not good to forget to bring them in the van if the kids are anywhere near naptime, and if you accidentally bring only one, they will fight over it the entire ride. This has happened to Nate twice this week, and he has been in full tantrum mode riding home from picking up Noah from school. I've felt like a crazy person trying to talk or sing to him to distract him.

So, yeah, Hayden likes to suck on a corner of his Woobie. I think it is actually my fault from when he was about 6 months old and still colicky. I remember that none of my kids seemed to like pacifiers, or at least couldn't keep them in, and I think I encouraged Hayden to put a little silk edge of it in his mouth to calm him down. I have no idea why I would have done this, now that I think of how stupid it sounds, but when he was colicky... well... it was hard, and I remember singing "oh my darling, Clementine" for 30 minutes straight while rocking him to bore him to sleep. Anyway, his Woobie ends up getting washed and bleached a lot and now I'm not sure when he'll stop sucking on it. Nate sucks his thumb, Hayden sucks a blanket.